How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CaseLaw Your Own Question
CaseLaw, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 1569
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
CaseLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can i do if someone is harassing me at my house. Saying

Customer Question

what can i do if someone is harassing me at my house. Saying my husband owes him money, Threatening me and my child that something bad is going to happen to us.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

Are you willing to wait 15 - 20 minutes for me to send you a detailed reply? If so, please can you extend the period for the question, or hang on. I'll be right with you.



Expert:  CaseLaw replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

Basically your husband's dispute with this other guy is a CIVIL matter. The other guy claims that your husband owes him money, and if he does, and your husband doesn't pay, then this other guy needs to sue your husband in the Magistrates Court. He will need to run a trial to prove the reasons why your husband owes him the money.

BUT, what this other guy is doing amounts to CRIMINAL conduct. One is not allowed to resort to violence in order to achieve something. The harassment and threatening conduct is criminal in nature. You are advised to report this conduct to the police, and ask the police to open up a case of assault / the threat of assault against this other guys. The law does not permit this other guy to behave like this.

The police might try to argue that it is a civil dispute between the other guy and your husband, and that means that you can't open up a case against this other guy, but the police would be wrong. This other guy is not legally allowed to resort to violence (or the threat of violence) in order to achieve something. You must MAKE the police open up a docket and investigate the assault. You must remember that assault is wide enough to include physical assault, verbal assault, and the threat of assault.

If my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - dont just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,


Expert:  CaseLaw replied 11 months ago.

Hi there again,

I see that you've read my answer and I hope that you understood the answer and that it was useful? If you have a further question please ask it, or if you need clarity on the answer please let me know.

If you're happy that I've answered your question, please leave positive feedback for me.