How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CaseLaw Your Own Question
CaseLaw, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 1555
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
CaseLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was in a relationship with a girl we have had issues

Customer Question

My son was in a relationship with a girl we have had issues in the past. He broke up with her a week ago. We found out that she was physically abusing him - hitting him on more than one ooccasion. He has been to a psychologist and so have I and he was also advised to keep away from the girls mother. She is still sending messages and wanting him to take her back. . Can I get a restraining order aga instead her and the mother?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: South Africa
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We sent a msg to the mother advising her that the psychologist advisedmy son and I to that he must have minimal to do with her. Her parenting skills are totally different to ours. He is 17. This last year was he'll... I've been suffering with anxiety due to this and lost 15kgs due to all the stress . He broke it off last week and now she is trying her luck again. He becomes a totally different person when he is involved with her. He swears me which he dies not normally do.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 10 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

Yes, you can get a restraining order, but typically that means that you would need to go to Court and apply for an interdict to keep the girl away from your son.

Or what you can do, is to apply for a domestic violence protection order. Your son can do this at his nearest police station and/or magistrates court. I think that a domestic violence protection order would apply since they were in a relationship together, and the abuse happened during the relationship, and after the relationship this girl is continuing to harass your son.

He will need to depose to an affidavit setting out the reasons WHY he needs this order, and also what happened to him that he is still worried. If you can attach a letter from your son's psychologist confirming anxiety and/or something else, that will definitely assist you!

The magistrate will then grant an interim protection order which will be served on this girl by the police. All of the parties will then need to appear before the magistrate to argue why (or why not) the interim protection order should be made final (or not made final).

You can do all of this without the assistance of an attorney - but if you can afford one, my advice is always to have one assist. Especially since an attorney can assist you in ensuring that all of the right relevant evidence is placed before the court.

I am afraid that I am not allowed to refer you to a specific attorney, however I can suggest that you can locate a suitably qualified attorney in your area who will be able to assist you with your query at

If my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - dont just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,


Expert:  CaseLaw replied 10 months ago.

Hi there again,

I see that you've NOT yet read my answer. Do you still need assistance?

If you have a further questions please can you rate my answers above as positive; and then ask further questions if you need clarity on the answer provided.