How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CaseLaw Your Own Question
CaseLaw, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 1569
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
CaseLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are you in south africa? i asked, do you practise in south

Customer Question

are you in south africa?
JA: No. I'm the Lawyer's Assistant.
Customer: i asked , do you practise in south africa and can you gve me advise on south african law
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Western Cape
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I was charged with malicious damage to property after i accidentally broke a neighbour's window. I banged too hard.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, do you operate in south africa?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I am an attorney who is based in Cape Town. What do you need assistance with?

Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

Malicious damage to property is the unlawful and intentional damaging of property that belongs to another person and this is a crime in South African law.

This damage must be to something physical like harming your dog or other pets or live stock, or intentional damage to any other possession of yours like your furniture, lawnmower a building, a motor vehicle or any other tangible thing and it must be real and cause you financial lost, for instance if the restoration of property cost the owner money, the damage had been done.

Any such damage must be intended to damage your property and not be accidental damage.

If something is due to negligence like a car accident then such a person cannot be charged with malicious damage to property because there was no intention.

In your instance, you said that you accidentally broke a neighbour's window because you banged it too hard.

In my opinion, that doesn't sound as if you intended breaking the window. At best, ***** ***** as if you were negligent in banging the window too hard while knowing that it "might" break.

In my opinion you need to speak to the police (the investigating officer) alternatively the prosecutor and tell them that (i) you will offer to reimburse your neighbour for the costs of the repairs; and (ii) that you never intended breaking the window; and (iii) that it was an accident at best.

They should then withdraw the charges.

Perhaps you can also explain this to your neighbour, and tell her to please withdraw the charges!

If my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - dont just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,


Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hi there again,

I see that you've read my answer and I hope that you understood the answer and that it was useful? If you have a further question please ask it, or if you need clarity on the answer please let me know.

If you're happy that I've answered your question, please leave positive feedback for me.