CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
31036262

A neighbour dog has now killed and attacked another dog

Customer Question

good evening a neighbour dog has now killed and attacked another dog belonging to my mother-in-law. the dog belongs to her landlord. the first incident happened a month ago the dog is prone to attacking visitors i am worried that inevitably some person will be seriously harmed he is a big boerbul dog
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Brits north west
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: nope planning on next week when im abck in gauteng
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: not really it has also incurred quite a lot of costs for her to visit the vets over and over again
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

What you need to do is to contact the police and lay a charge against the owner for the dog attack. It is a person's responsibility to ensure that their animals don't cause mischief and/or hurt other people and animals. It is therefore the person who is at fault for their dog's actions - especially if the dog is known to be an aggressive animal. Lay a charge at the police station! If the dog attacks a person, the owner can be held criminally liable and prosecuted!

Also, you can report her and the incident to the SPCA. Explain to them that a dog has been killed and you are worried that this other dog will attack another dog and kill it, or worse a person! The SPCA has wide powers to come and investigate the incident. Dogs can even be taken away by the SPCA and terminated!

In addition, you can sue the dog's owner for the vet bills. If the amount is less than R17,000 then you can sue in the small claims court. If the amount is more, then you'll need to go to the magistrates court and you'll need a lawyer!(No lawyers allowed in the small claims court - which is found at your nearest magistrates court)

Don't sit back and wait for it to happen again - do something about it now!

If my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - dont just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,

CaseLaw