How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Freddie Lombard Your Own Question
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 2607
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
Freddie Lombard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was divorced some three years ago, but Home Affairs still

Customer Question

I was divorced some three years ago, but Home Affairs still show my marital status as "married". I have subsequently found out that the lawyers concerned (the divorce was done by my ex-wife) did not submit the decree to Home Affairs as the account was not paid. What can be done?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: This was in Gauteng in South Africa..
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I am not sure...
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at this time no..
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 11 months ago.

Hi there

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

You can apply to Home Affairs to change the status to divorced yourself but you will have to present them with a original copy of the divorce order.

If you or your ex wife does not have a copy of the order, you can approach the court where the divorce was heard for a copy. You will need the case number ***** this and you can find the case number ***** the summons. I am sure that either you or your ex should still have some document with the case number ***** it.

If all else fails you can approach the firm of attorneys who handled the divorce and find out if they will give you the order. They might require that you pay them something for it if they were not paid by your ex.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.


Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 10 months ago.

Hi there,

I have noticed that you have not yet rated my service and consequently I am not sure if you still need help from me or if you are satisfied.

Please rate my service positively if you are satisfied.

Kind regards