How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CaseLaw Your Own Question
CaseLaw, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 1552
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
CaseLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear lowyer, and I am a foreign. I have 3years in SA and I

Customer Question

Hi dear lowyer ,my name is ***** ***** I am a foreign.
I have 3years in SA and I rent the house .I didn't know that there is a place to complain if you have the problem with the landlord .
-1. from 1st june 2014 to 31 may 2015 ,I was sign the contract with clockwork withouth doing inpection up to now I am not receive my deposit .(R20,000.00 deposit + R1500 for the key)
-2. from 1st june 2015 t0 31 may 2017 with chockwork but here the owner was put the house on sale after 3 months and decide to go out because on the 31 december 2015 between me and the saler who breach the contract? up to now nothing for my deposit( R 18,000.00).
-3.from 31 december 2015 to 30 june 2016 i was move to this house and the owner traite me lake animal today and tell me stories about the house .
she want to take again my deposit for R23,000.00 and I know in that house only the shower can bee replace because of the wind one day the door was broken and the fram of the floor in the sitting room for 5m need to be replace .
someone can destroy the all house in 6 months ???
I find you because of the now agent Seeff that I use now .
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hi there Ruth and thank you for your question,

I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

Regarding your first issue, if you haven't received your deposit back from the landlord then you are entitled to lodge a dispute with the Gauteng Rental Housing Tribunal. Their details are here:

1066 Old Mutual Building

14th Floor

No.35 Pritchard Street


Postal Address

Private Bag X79



Email address:***@******.***


Open hours: Monday to Friday excluding Public Holidays 08H00 – 16H00


(###) ###-#### ***** 37/ 48/ 49(###) ###-#### ***** 54/ 55(###) ###-#### ***** 25

Fax:(###) ###-#### *****

Toll Free No. 0800 046 873

They will assist you in calling the landlord to the tribunal and making an order requiring the landlord to return your deposit!

Regarding your second issue, you should also refer the dispute to the Gauteng Rental Housing Tribunal. You should realise that the owner is allowed to sell his house even though you are renting it. The new owner will then just take over as the landlord. The new owner is NOT allowed to kick you out of the property. You are entitled to remain there until your lease expired. As such, I don't think that there was any breach of contract by the seller. Maybe by you if you elected to move out yourself?

Regarding your third issue, I don't really understand what you're asking. Please can you clarify?

If my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - dont just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,


Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hi there again,

I see that you've read my answer and I hope that you understood the answer and that it was useful? If you have a further question please ask it, or if you need clarity on the answer please let me know.

If you're happy that I've answered your question, please leave positive feedback for me.



Related South Africa Law Questions