How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Freddie Lombard Your Own Question
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 2669
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
Freddie Lombard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Obtaining legal guardianship of my lat sisters daughter who

Customer Question

Obtaining legal guardianship of my lat sisters daughter who is20 in tertiary
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Her father is still alive but not supporting her and I am so I need to put her on medical aid and put her through school and have not yet discussed this with her living parent yet
JA: Issues like this can be complex. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Ooooo I am all the way in South Africa I thought this is a local site 🙈
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I'm a half sister to her mother so my sister has a half sister from her mom as well
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: And my late sisters mom n I don't always agree on issues
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My late sister also wrote me a a beneficiary to her life cover so I also need to wisely use that money to put her daughter through school and it's not a lot to cover everything for d next 4 years of study I
Work for a university she Can also study for free there n get mecical aid but I need to be her legal guardian to do that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If u can also send me forms and tell me where to go. Would I need to ask for permission from her living parent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in Pretoria she lives close too her school Johannesburg n the father is in Harrismith
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her mom is my sister we share a father
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There father is not really helping to maintain her and has never done a good job of it.
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

I am afraid what you are asking is simply impossible in South Africa. A major person can be the legal guardian of a minor person under the age of 18 years.

Since your late sister's daughter is now 20, you can never be appointed as her guardian. The best you can do is to make an affidavit stating that she is living with you and you are supporting her financially as she has nobody else to look after her.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.


Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

This is just a quick note to follow up. Did you find my answer helpful? Is there anything else I can assist you with before you rate the service? Please note that I do not get paid if you do not rate.