How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CaseLaw Your Own Question
CaseLaw, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 1592
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
CaseLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Sorry my phone went dead must I start all over again JA: OK.

Customer Question

Sorry my phone went dead must I start all over again
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have built a double garage and want to convert it into a spice shop also selling general stuff like bread, milk, &groceries.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: A shopping centre & a service station is about 200m away from my residence. Next door to me is a doctor's surgery.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question,I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.First, I'm going to assume that your property is zoned for residential use only. If that's the case, then you won't be able to simply convert your garage like you want. Step 1 is to apply to your municipality to change the zoning to residential/commercial so that you can run a business from there. That should not be too hard at all especially since there is already a doctors offices next door. You'll need permission from all of your neighbours, but that's part of the process. Step 2 is to then apply for a business licence so that you can run the business. You should be aware that all of this might depend on you having to construct a parking bay for customers, or something like that. Your best bet is to go to your local municipal offices to ask for the forms to convert your property's zoning. You could also ask them if there is a consultant who could walk you through the process - it may assist in speeding things up!If my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - dont just rate my answer as "bad".If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer! Good luck and best regards,CaseLaw
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi there again,I see that you've read my answer and I hope that you understood the answer and that it was useful? If you have a further question please ask it, or if you need clarity on the answer please let me know.If you're happy that I've answered your question, please leave positive feedback for me.RegardsCaseLaw