How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Freddie Lombard Your Own Question
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 2636
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
Freddie Lombard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good day, JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow

Customer Question

Good day,
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: I need to get information in laying a defamation of character charge please?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: My boyfriend's ex going on on facebook about me being pregnant now, saying things like: wonder if it's his... etc
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: She assaulted me a few months ago in my own home. Came in drunk and started hitting me, pulling my hair and kicked me in the face.
I laid a charge against her for that, have not gone to court yet.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

You will have to instruct an attorney to issue a summons against her for defamation. In terms thereof you will claim a certain amount of money from her for defaming you and you can also ask for an order prohibiting her from defaming you further.

If you do not have money for an attorney and simply want her to stop with what she is doing, you can go to the magistrates court and ask the clerk of the court to assist you in bringing an application in terms of the protection of harassment act. The court will then interdict her from harassing you or posting anything about you again on facebook. If she does it again, she can be charged for contempt of court.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.


Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

This is just a quick note to follow up. Did you find my answer helpful? Is there anything else I can assist you with before you rate the service? Please note that I do not get paid if you do not rate.