How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CaseLaw Your Own Question
CaseLaw, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 1592
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
CaseLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have applied Australian Visa but, to my knowledge,

Customer Question

I have applied for an Australian Visa but, to my knowledge, have a criminal record for hotel bilking in 1987. The result of the court case was a suspended sentence. The Australian Visa people now want full details of this. Can you assist or tell me how to go about getting this information?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: Nothing on this matter.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question,I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.I'm sure that the original court docket would have been destroyed by now, so the chances that you will find that is most certainly NIL.I think what the Australian government wants is full details of the case from your point of view. You're not going to receive anything from the State which details what the charges were. At any rate, it's the conviction which counts, not the original charges. Have you obtained a police clearance certificate? Is that how they picked up your criminal record?Why don't you apply to have your record cleared? You are entitled to do that.You are entitled to have your criminal record expunged if 10 years has passed from the date of your sentence. It seems to me that you accordingly qualify for this.Option 1) Go the private route where you hire somebody to make the application for you.Read here for more info: 2) Do the application yourself.Read more info here: and complete the correct form for your circumstances, you will also need to request a police clearance certificate, ( and then forward all of the documents to the department of justice.It should take a few months, but then it's done!I know that it's not going to help you NOW, but it will help in the future. If my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - dont just rate my answer as "bad".If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer! Good luck and best regards,CaseLaw
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi there again,I see that you've read my answer and I hope that you understood the answer and that it was useful? If you have a further question please ask it, or if you need clarity on the answer please let me know.If you're happy that I've answered your question, please leave positive feedback for me.RegardsCaseLaw