How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CaseLaw Your Own Question
CaseLaw, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 1534
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
CaseLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

JA: . What is your issue regarding? Customer: I

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I would like to know whether a driver of a LDV and a 500lt Diesel bowser need a PDP to drive. If so or not, which legal document do i reference to
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: We are a construction company and have drivers that transport diesel to our sites. However, the diesel bowsers only carry 500 lt diesel. We have been having problems with traffic officials where they request a PDP from our drivers. According to our knowledge you only need a PDP when driving a vehicle larger than 3500kg and diesel of quantities more than 1000lt. I need a legal reference confirming this so that we can have this ready for our drivers to show the traffic officers
JA: Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: No I think that sums it up
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question,I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.As you are aware, a PrDP is a professional driving permit. (A PDP was the old term)The permit is issued in addition to an ordinary driving licence. A PrDP applies to the following motor vehicle categories:a goods vehicle with a gross vehicle mass exceeding 3 500kga breakdown vehicle or a bus a minibus weighing more than 3 500kg or designed to carry 12 or more people (the driver included) light motor vehicles, indicated in the economic sector for carrying passengers for reward (taxi-cab)a motor vehicle designed to carry 12 or more peopleany vehicle for which an operating licence is issueddangerous goods vehicle (e.g. fuel tanker).Age restrictions for the motor vehicle categories are as follows:you should be 18 years or older to hold a PrDP for a goods vehicleyou should be 21 years or older to hold a PrDP for a passenger vehicleyou should be 25 years or older to hold a PrDP for a dangerous goods vehicle.In my opinion your drivers will need a PrDP since they are driving (what I would consider to be) a dangerous vehicle. See the above requirements.I don't know where you received the information about 1000lt, because from what I can see it is all dangerous vehicles.There is a link here: and also here my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - dont just rate my answer as "bad".If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer! Good luck and best regards,CaseLaw
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi there again,I see that you've read my answer and I hope that you understood the answer and that it was useful? If you have a further question please ask it, or if you need clarity on the answer please let me know.If you're happy that I've answered your question, please leave positive feedback for me.RegardsCaseLaw