How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Freddie Lombard Your Own Question
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 2675
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
Freddie Lombard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just want to know how to continue to be a marriage officer

Customer Question

I just want to know how to continue to be a marriage officer after retiring from structured church work but now having your own ministry. Themba
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Issue is that I am no longer employed as a full-time pastor but I would like to be able to marry people and include this work as part of my ministry which is a closed corporation. I wish to add it to my work that I do for the community like conducting funerals, baptisms, just to include as part of an outreach program to the community. I am retired now.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

The head of your church or denomination should write a letter to Department of Home Affairs requesting that you be appointed as a Marriage Officer for your church so that you can conduct marriages.

The usual procedure is then that you will have to write the exam but if you have done so previously, they might accept that. If not, they will schedule a test date and you have to score more than 80% on the test.

Once that part is completed, they will issue you with a letter of appointment and a book of Register certificates and Marriage certificates.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.


Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 1 year ago.

Did you receive my answer?