South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

Freddie, besides them not consulting me as part of the

Customer Question
Hi Freddie, besides them not...
Hi Freddie, besides them not consulting me as part of the process what rights/protection do mothers have if they are on maternity leave and their position is made redundant - is there no protection of their job/role for a period of time?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: South Africa Law
2/11/2016
Lawyer: Freddie Lombard, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney

Hi there

Unfortunately there is no such requirement. The employer is allowed to retrench employees based on operational requirements at any time but they have to follow the correct procedure. Failure to do so makes the retrenchment unfair and open it to attack.

You can claim reinstatement or compensation. The maximum amount that you can claim is for one year (unless there has been discrimination).

I have noticed that you have asked this new question without first rating my first answer. Please take note that I do not get any credit from the JA website without your rating and consequently, I kindly request that you rate my service in answering your questions.

Also take note that you need to post a new question if you have a follow up question on the same issue. You can simply post on this same discussion even after you have rated.

Kind regards

Hi there,

I have noticed that you have not yet rated my service and consequently I am not sure if you still need help from me or if you are satisfied.

Please rate my service positively if you are satisfied.

Kind regards