South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

Tested positive of. Not smoking at working hours. Smoking on…

Customer Question
tested positive for use of...
tested positive for use of dagga. Not smoking at working hours. Smoking on my off days.Can employer fire me now
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: South Africa Law
2/3/2016
Lawyer: CaseLaw, Attorney replied 2 years ago
CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney

Hi there,

This is a further information request so that I can provide you a proper answer to your legal question. Please continue in this same question thread.

Were you under the influence of dagga while you were at work? Was it a random drug test? Were the employees given notice that they would be conducting a test? Did they single you out, or did they test a few people?

Awaiting your further information.

Regards

CaseLaw

not under influence of dagga at work. we work 4 days dayshift then quick change to 4 days night shift, then 4 days off. on my second day off I smoke some weed, today when we return to work they tested our engineering group and found me positive I am working at MINERAL SANDS RESOURSES at Western Cape
can you give me a anser
still wait for anser

I am afraid that the company can have a policy whereby you are required to submit to random drug tests. This is especially the case where they company could argue that you are dealing in a dangerous situation (e.g. mining) or something like that.

Based on the positive drug test, they can take you to a disciplinary hearing, and if you are found guilty, they can fire you.

They DO have to have a hearing though, and at the hearing you need to be given a chance to reply to the charges put against you.

Hi there again,

I hope that you understood the above advice and that it was useful? Please leave positive feedback for me.

If you have a further question please ask it?

Regards

CaseLaw

CaseLaw
CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney