South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

I bought a Audi A4 from Nissan Bruma in May 2015, on the 29…

Customer Question
Hi I bought a Audi...
Hi I bought a Audi A4 from Nissan Bruma in May 2015 , on the 29 June I notified them that the vehicle had been in a accident .
I have driven the car up till now as they had requested me to , now I want to return the vehicle because they have not been able to find me a new car to replace. What charges do I have to pay back to them and remember I notified them one month later
Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: South Africa Law
1/23/2016
Lawyer: Freddie Lombard, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney

Hi there

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

I assume that they requested you to keep the vehicle until such time as they can replace it?

The Consumer Protection Act provides that, where goods are found to be defective in quality within six months of their purchase, the customer may insist upon a refund, or may allow the seller the chance to repair or replace the goods.

If you simply returned the vehicle when you reported it, you would not have had to pay anything but given what has transpired now, it is unclear how it should be handled as the act is silent on this. An argument can be made out if they requested you to keep the car while looking for a replacement as your damages (of being without a car) can be set off against their damages (allowing you use of the car). This is however simply an argument and not a rule.

The only way to be sure is to have it tested in court.

I would advise you to discuss this with the dealer and take things from there. If you remain unsatisfied with the result you should refer a dispute to the National Consumer Commission who can make a decision if you should pay for anything at all.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards