South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

I am a partner in a small company (33% ) .I no longer work…

Customer Question
I am a partner in...
I am a partner in a small company (33% ) .I no longer work but the other two partners
still do. They are also 33% shareholders in the company. They recently informed me that
as I no longer work , they will not pay me my 'full' dividend but only about 16%.
Is this permissible by law. Upto now we have each been taking a third of the amount
allocated to dividends.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: South Africa Law
1/22/2016
Lawyer: Freddie Lombard, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney

Hi there

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

A dividend is the portion of the profit of a company that the directors decide to pay out to the shareholders and they cannot decide to pay one shareholder more than another. It is paid in accordance to the shareholding. In other words pro rata per share.

Employees of the company is not paid in dividends but they are paid a salary, therefore the partners who are still working and contributing towards the company should be paid a salary which is decided by the directors of the company.

The profit that is to be paid out as dividends is then only calculated once the expenses including the salaries have been deducted.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards