How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WCLawyer Your Own Question
WCLawyer, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 15603
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
WCLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to adopt an 18 year old. I am a 46 year old

Customer Question

I would like to adopt an 18 year old. I am a 46 year old South African male and would like him recognised as my legal heir and child.
Is this possible?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Are you trying to adopt an adult in South Africa or in the United States?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In South Africa both myself and the 18yo are South African.
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to opt out for another expert to answer your question then. Best of luck.

Expert:  WCLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Good evening.

Unfortunately the Childrens Act only allows for the adoption of Children. Children are defined in the act as anybody under the age of 18. In terms of legislation, the person that you are now trying to adopt is an adult and can therefore no longer be legally adopted by anybody.

So, unfortunately that would not be possible at all.

I know that this is probably not the answer that you have hoped for, however, I hope that you can still get some value out of it. I try my best to provide you with a legally sound and accurate answer and however much it pains me, it is not always good news. Trust me when I say that I wish I could provide you with a more optimistic answer. If you have follow up questions before you rate, feel free to ask them at no extra cost. If you are satisfied with the service,kindly rate it positively