South Africa Law

Get Your South African Law Questions Answered by Experts

South Africa Law

If I have bought a air conditioner cash and it is faulty can

Customer Question
the supplier refuse to give...
If I have bought a air conditioner cash and it is faulty can the supplier refuse to give your money back and force you to buy other products (whish you do not need)
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: South Africa Law
12/26/2015
Lawyer: WCLawyer, Attorney replied 2 years ago
WCLawyer
WCLawyer, Attorney

The Consumer Protection Act makes provision for an implied warranty on all goods purchased by a consumer from a supplier where the transaction has been concluded in the normal course of the business of the supplier. In other words, if it is a once off transaction for the person selling, the Consumer Protection Act is not applicable.

Section 55 of the Act reads as follows and gives the consumer the right to safe, good quality goods:

55. Consumer’s rights to safe, good quality goods.—(1) This section does not apply to goods bought at an auction, as contemplated in section 45. (2) Except to the extent contemplated in subsection (6), every consumer has a right to receive goods that—

(a) are reasonably suitable for the purposes for which they are generally intended;

(b) are of good quality, in good working order and free of any defects;

(c) will be useable and durable for a reasonable period of time, having regard to the use to which they would normally be put and to all the surrounding circumstances of their supply; and

(d) comply with any applicable standards set under the Standards Act, 1993 (Act No. 29 of 1993), or any other public regulation. (3) In addition to the right set out in subsection (2) (a), if a consumer has specifically informed the supplier of the particular purpose for which the consumer wishes to acquire any goods, or the use to which the consumer intends to apply those goods, and the supplier—

(a) ordinarily offers to supply such goods; or

(b) acts in a manner consistent with being knowledgeable about the use of those goods,

the consumer has a right to expect that the goods are reasonably suitable for the specific purpose that the consumer has indicated. (4) In determining whether any particular goods satisfied the requirements of subsection (2) or (3), all of the circumstances of the supply of those goods must be considered, including but not limited to—

(a) the manner in which, and the purposes for which, the goods were marketed, packaged and displayed, the use of any trade description or mark, any instructions for, or warnings with respect to the use of the goods;

(b) the range of things that might reasonably be anticipated to be done with or in relation to the goods; and

(c) the time when the goods were produced and supplied. (5) For greater certainty in applying subsection (4)—

(a) it is irrelevant whether a product failure or defect was latent or patent, or whether it could have been detected by a consumer before taking delivery of the goods; and

(b) a product failure or defect may not be inferred in respect of particular goods solely on the grounds that better goods have subsequently become available from the same or any other producer or supplier. (6) Subsection (2) (a) and (b) do not apply to a transaction if the consumer—

(a) has been expressly informed that particular goods were offered in a specific condition; and

(b) has expressly agreed to accept the goods in that condition, or knowingly acted in a manner consistent with accepting the goods in that condition.

Section 56 state that you have a six month guarantee that the item will comply with the basic standard that is required by section 55. It reads as follows:

56. Implied warranty of quality.—(1) In any transaction or agreement pertaining to the supply of goods to a consumer there is an implied provision that the producer or importer, the distributor and the retailer each warrant that the goods comply with the requirements and standards contemplated in section 55, except to the extent that those goods have been altered contrary to the instructions, or after leaving the control, of the producer or importer, a distributor or the retailer, as the case may be.

(2) Within six months after the delivery of any goods to a consumer, the consumer may return the goods to the supplier, without penalty and at the supplier’s risk and expense, if the goods fail to satisfy the requirements and standards contemplated in section 55, and the supplier must, at the direction of the consumer, either—

(a) repair or replace the failed, unsafe or defective goods; or

(b) refund to the consumer the price paid by the consumer, for the goods.

(3) If a supplier repairs any particular goods or any component of any such goods, and within three months after that repair, the failure, defect or unsafe feature has not been remedied, or a further failure, defect or unsafe feature is discovered, the supplier must—

(a) replace the goods; or

(b) refund to the consumer the price paid by the consumer for the goods. (4) The implied warranty imposed by subsection (1), and the right to return goods set out in subsection (2), are each in addition to—

(a) any other implied warranty or condition imposed by the common law, this Act or any other public regulation; and

(b) any express warranty or condition stipulated by the producer or importer, distributor or retailer, as the case may be.

So, if the item becomes defective within the first six month of the purchase, you have a choice: Replace, repair or refund. If you choose the refund option, the act states that it must be without penalty. The operative phrase here is that it is YOUR choice and not the choice of the supplier.

I hope I have answered all of your questions and addressed all your concerns, but if you have follow up questions before you rate, feel free to ask them at no extra cost. If you are satisfied with the service, kindly rate it positively.

WCLawyer
WCLawyer
WCLawyer, Attorney