How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CaseLaw Your Own Question
CaseLaw, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 1569
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
CaseLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married in community of property got divorced in 2009

Customer Question

I was married in community of property got divorced in 2009 and didnt claim from my ex husbands clicks shares he has and other retirement annuities he has with sanlam can I still claim now
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

If your divorce has already been finalised some 6 years ago, then unfortunately it is too late to make a claim against some of your ex-husband's assets now - which includes a claim against his shares and retirement annuities with Sanlam.

All of these claims were supposed to be dealt with during the divorce, and a judge would have made an order in relation to ALL of the assets.

It's just too late in the day to come with the claim now.

I'm really sorry about this, and realise that it is not the information that you really want.

If my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - don't just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,