WCLawyer
WCLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)
32244620

I was approached by a police officer at a garage along the

Customer Question

Hi, I was approached by a police officer at a garage along the freeway to fill up with petrol. I was arrested and shown a photo of a motor bike speeding at 168km per hour in a 120km zone. the camera was unattended and remotely monitored from the garage. The identification of my vehicle had no evidence of a registration number on the photo. I have to appear in the magistrates court on 9 December 2015.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning.

Could you be a bit more specific on the question that you would like to be answered?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to know if I should plead guilty or not guilty. The photo image of my vehicle was of one similar to mine, but I could not identify it as mine due to no registration number displayed on any photo image which was shown to me at the time of the arrest.
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 1 year ago.

It would be irresponsible of me to tell you how to plead without having a good long consultation with you. What I can tell you is that the State must proof your guilt beyond reasonable doubt. So, if the quality of the photograph does not show beyond any reasonable doubt that the motorcycle in the picture is indeed yours, then I would not advise you to plead guilty.

I would recommend that you find an attorney who can assist you with making written representations to the DPP in order to get the charges dropped. Then, if that is successful, to assist you with a claim for damages because of the unlawful arrest.

I am not sure if this answers your question. So if you have follow up questions before you rate, feel free to ask them at no extra cost. If you are satisfied with the service, kindly rate it positively