How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CaseLaw Your Own Question
CaseLaw, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 1569
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
CaseLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a copier at our school that was on rental from Ricoh.

Customer Question

HI Good day
I have a copier at our school that was on rental from Ricoh . The quotation that Ricoh gave us was for 60 months and they arranged the financing through Fintech, their Financing house.We have just paid the 60th rental and now want to have the machine replaced by Tosiba. Ricoh says that the contract indicated that we have to give 3 months notice on the rental agreement. It does not sound fair at all as the 60 month period is over.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question,

The short story is that the Consumer Protection Act won't apply to you as the "consumer" in your situation was the school, and not a person in his private capacity.

At the end of the day the answer unfortunately rests in the contract. If the contract says a fixed term of 60 months, then that is the answer and they can't claim a 3 month notice period.

If however the contract says that the 60 month period will continue to run month by month, until such time as you give them the 3 months' notice - then unfortunately that is what you've agreed.

If my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - don't just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,


Please note: This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please consult a local attorney in person for legal advice. This information is being provided so you can better discuss legal matters with your attorney.

Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hi there again,

I hope that you understood the above advice and that it was useful? Please leave positive feedback for me.

If you have a further question please ask it?