How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Freddie Lombard Your Own Question
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 2611
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
Freddie Lombard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a problem with an eskom bill where i have been billed

Customer Question

Good Day
i have a problem with an eskom bill where i have been billed using the wrong Transformer size (50kva instead of a 25 kva). I have made the local eskom office aware of this and have been promised everytime that someone will be sent to verify this. In the meantime i continue to receive bills based on the 50kva transformer. My bill has escalated to a point where it is unaffordable to me. I am requested to sign a payment arrangement which i had requested to do. I am now reluctant to sign it now since it will indicate me accepting the bill. I have been threatened with electricity cuts. I stay on a farm and having no electricity would render me not safe.
Please advice on how to take this matter forward without compromising myself or creating more problems for myself.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

It does indeed seem that you are in a predicament.

I would suggest that you make payment of whatever amount you feel is fair and reasonable and that you, simultaneously with payment, hand a letter to Eskom indicating that you are making the payment under protest and simply in an attempt to keep your electrical supply on without admitting any liability for the outstanding amount as claimed. You can supply additional reasons in your letter and state that despite numerous requests, they still have not rectified the account.

Do not sign any acknowledgement of debt letter.

If they do cut your electricity, you will have to go to court to get it connected again and it will look much better if you made some payments even though you dispute the amount. Just make sure that you get a receipt for your letter of the payment under protest as a normal payment may be seen as an acknowledgement of debt.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.


Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 1 year ago.

I notice that I neglected to enable the rating function before posting the above answer.

If you were satisfied with my service, kindly rate me now.