How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WCLawyer Your Own Question
WCLawyer, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 15603
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
WCLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a serious dispute with a BC and as such have not paid

Customer Question

Hi I have a serious dispute with a BC and as such have not paid levies but have paid water and lights . A municipality inspector can solve the problem by enlightening all parties in person to resolve the issue but the trustees refuse to meet with him until I pay the levies. I know if I pay the levies its the last I will see of the money as I am requesting re compensation for a negligent decision on their part ..they will know the truth if they meet with him but they wont as they know waht he will tell them will find them liable ..can you help please or any suggestions
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they also refuse to give me their bulk BC water account as again they know that it will not suit them at all but they had said they needed to wait for the account to arrive so that they could take their not to re-imburse me. they are and have proven to be a serious case of a bullying BC. ...I FEEL REAL HELPLESS!!
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Good evening

I would suggest that you refer the matter to arbitration under Management Rule 71. There is a good article on how the process works you can read here.

I am not sure if this answers your question. So if you have follow up questions before you rate, feel free to ask them at no extra cost. If you are satisfied with the service, kindly rate it positively