How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CaseLaw Your Own Question
CaseLaw, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 1534
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
CaseLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Got divorced in Cape Town 1999 or 2000. married My name was

Customer Question

Got divorced in Cape Town 1999 or 2000. married Roy ***** ***** My name was Yvonne Delport. Married 15th June, 1990 in Durban KZN. Need copy divorced Certificate please.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question,

Unfortunately you will need to appoint a firm of attorneys to act on your behalf here, and physically visit the High Court in Cape Town to request a copy of the divorce order. You'll need to give the attorneys the case number, or if you can't remember that, the exact date that the divorce was granted.

If you can't remember the exact date, you will need to try be as specific as possible. There is a register that the Registrar of the court keeps with all of the names and case numbers. Somebody will need to look through that register, page by page!

This isn't a service we can offer online, specifically because I am NOT based in Cape Town... and that information is not available online.

The attorney might charge you between R800 an R1500 to go to court, uplift the file, copy the court order, have it certified, and send it through to you. Remember, attorneys typically charge for their time, so somebody will need to go to court and wait in the queue and find the file!

I am afraid that I am not allowed to refer you to a specific attorney, however I can suggest that you can locate a suitably qualified attorney in your area who will be able to assist you with your query at OR

If my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - don't just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,


Please note: This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please consult a local attorney in person for legal advice. This information is being provided so you can better discuss legal matters with your attorney.