How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Freddie Lombard Your Own Question
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 2606
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
Freddie Lombard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to report the decease of my sister, who died

Customer Question

I need to report the decease of my sister, who died intestate, with an estate I imagine is worth about R30,000 at most. She left a depandant and disabled daughter, on whose behalf I intend to apply for various state grants and pensions, and all of these depend on clearance from SARS, which i cannot apply for unless I have a letter of authority.
What would it cost me to employ an attorney to do this?
Pippa Lange
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Pippa,

The process is not long or complicated. You need to provide the attorney with a death certificate and a completed inventory (ie list of all the assets in the estate). Each beneficiary will also have to sign a nomination to appoint he executor.

The attorney/executor will then report the estate to the Master of the High Court and will apply to be appointed in terms of Section 18(3) of the Act to finalise the estate.

I would assume that an attorney will probably ask you an hourly rate to do all of this on your behalf, and in all honesty I cannot see that it would take more than one or maybe two hours.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Kindly click on the smiley face to rate the service.