South Africa Law

Get Your South African Law Questions Answered by Experts

South Africa Law

I need to report the decease of my sister, who died

Customer Question
intestate, with an estate I...
I need to report the decease of my sister, who died intestate, with an estate I imagine is worth about R30,000 at most. She left a depandant and disabled daughter, on whose behalf I intend to apply for various state grants and pensions, and all of these depend on clearance from SARS, which i cannot apply for unless I have a letter of authority.
What would it cost me to employ an attorney to do this?
Pippa Lange
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: South Africa Law
9/28/2015
Lawyer: Freddie Lombard, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney

Good morning Pippa,

The process is not long or complicated. You need to provide the attorney with a death certificate and a completed inventory (ie list of all the assets in the estate). Each beneficiary will also have to sign a nomination to appoint he executor.

The attorney/executor will then report the estate to the Master of the High Court and will apply to be appointed in terms of Section 18(3) of the Act to finalise the estate.

I would assume that an attorney will probably ask you an hourly rate to do all of this on your behalf, and in all honesty I cannot see that it would take more than one or maybe two hours.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards

Excellent

Thank you,

Kindly click on the smiley face to rate the service.

regards

Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney