How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mike Otis Your Own Question
Mike Otis
Mike Otis, Legal Advisor
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 2161
Experience:  B.Comm; LL.B; LL.M.
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
Mike Otis is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I entered into a permanent employment contract with a firm

Customer Question

Good day,
I entered into a permanent employment contract with a firm based in Saudi, though I worked remotely from South Africa. Payment was always late and I took issue with that. At the third month I handed in my resignation. I am still awaiting payment for August as well as the first week of September.
I would appreciate some input into who I might engage to begin legal proceedings to collect on the owed payment which is now more nearly a month over due.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Emile,

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

Can you tell me where the company is based that employed you? In other words, where is the head office of the employer?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Freddie,
Their head office is in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.The company is
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Emile,

In that case your employment contract will not be governed by SA law, as your employer is not subject to South African Laws and your place of employment was outside the republic of South Africa.

I will opt-out as I am unable to assist you.


Expert:  Mike Otis replied 1 year ago.

Dear Emilie,

Does your former employer have any assets or other business interests inside the border of SA?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Mike,I need advice in how to proceed with legal action outside our borders. The company does not have any local office, that's why I am asking the question.If you're not able to provide advice, then could the charges to my card be reversed, please?Thanks,
Expert:  Mike Otis replied 1 year ago.

I'll alert the website administrator that you are requesting a refund.

Best of luck,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please process a full refund as you were not able to render service. A further charge of R695 has just gone through on my card.Please reverse all charges as per your no answer no charge guarantee. Please also provide proof of receipt of this request and refund.Kind thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not received an answer to my question that is in ANY way useful. You just keep on piling up the charges. Once more today - R694. Please call me so I can collect on your satisfaction guarantee. I expect a full refund of all moneys collected.