Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.
75614155

Do I need to get municipal approval to cover my patio with

Customer Question

Do I need to get municipal approval to cover my patio with a louvred awning?
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 2 years ago.
Good morning,Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.Is the patio currently covered at all?Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
At the moment it is half covered with a louvred awning which will be removed and a full louvred awning will take its place covering 30 sq meters. There will be drop-down blinds and the floor will be a tiled concrete slab. There will be no brick-work or construction above the slab. The awning will be resting on three vertical metal posts. I have been told that this does not require municipal approval. However if I construct a fixed awning they tell me that the municipality views this as a "structure" and would need approval. It seems that they see the louvred awning as a sort of perola which they do not consider to be a structure.
OK, thank you. As far as I can tell, it sounds to me like what you are planning to do will amount to "minor building works" for which you will indeed need municipal approval, however you will not need have plans drawn up and approved. Here is an article that explains it clearly. I hope this answered your question. I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information. Regards