CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
31036262

If an appointment letter is received from a Canadian co on

Customer Question

If an appointment letter is received from a Canadian co on email; how can someone check it's authenticity?
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question,You could ask for a copy of the Canadian companies articles of association and proof of who the directors are. That will prove that the company is a proper company, and also who the actual directors of the company are. Once you have that, you could check that the letter of appointment (I assume that the letter is proof that you are being appointed for a contract?) was signed by the directors of the company. Also, you could ask for a copy of the company resolution / minutes of the directors' meeting to prove that the company wants to give your company a letter of appointment. There is no independent other way to check unfortunately. Unless you phone the company via the telephone number on its website. Don't only communicate via email. That's dangerous!Please keep in mind that if you need to pay an advanced fee for something (e.g. a fee for the letter, or a fee for reserve bank approval, or whatever) then it is typical that this is a scam. Please don't pay anything!If there is something more specific that you need clarity on, please continue in this same thread. Let me know if you need more advice!I hope you found my answer helpful. If you did, PLEASE rate my answer & please leave me positive feedback! Good luck and best regards,CaseLawPlease note: This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please consult a local attorney in person for legal advice. This information is being provided so you can better discuss legal matters with your attorney.