How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Freddie Lombard Your Own Question
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 2675
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
Freddie Lombard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a South African, working in the states, my husband

Customer Question

Hi, i am a South African, working in the states, my husband is in South Africa, i want a divorce,how can i do it from here?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  PaulmoJD replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you are legally resident aliens in CT on a visa, you can file for divorce in the CT court and obtain a divorce. Is that what you were seeking or are you seeking to file for a divorce in South Africa?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am seeking to file a divorce, but I'm in the states and my husband is in South Africa
Expert:  PaulmoJD replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your clarification.
Okay, I will move this to South Africa law for an expert there to assist you on this matter. Please do not reply to me as it will delay in someone being able to assist you.
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 2 years ago.
Hi there Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied. The divorce process can be divided into two stages. A paper stage where summons is issued and served and if it is defended, pleadings are exchanged and then the trial stage. For the initial stage you can simply instruct an attorney in SA over the phone or email to proceed with issuing a divorce summons from the court in the district were your husband resides. Once your husband receives the summons he will have to decide whether he will oppose it or not. If not, the divorce can go through very quickly. If he decides to oppose it pleadings are exchanged and the process might take quite a long time. Once the pleading stage is finalized there will have to be a hearing/trial and you will have to be present in court unless you and your husband can reach some sort of settlement during the pleadings stage and he consents to be present in court to give the testimony for the divorce to be finalized. I hope this answered your question. I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information. Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What will the divorce cost, and how do i file.
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 2 years ago.
Legal costs differ quite drastically from attorney to attorney so that is something you have to discuss with whichever attorney you appoint to assist you.
You can search for a firm of attorneys in the town/city your husband resides on
Once you have instructed them properly, they will for at attend to the necessary on your behalf.
Kindly remember to rate me service without which I will get no credit for attending to your question.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can i use a lawyer in the states to work the case for me in South Africa
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 2 years ago.
No, they will not be able to assist you except for appointing a firm in SA on your behalf. The legal system in SA and the USA are completely different and you will need an attorney in SA.
If you need more information on this topic please feel free to ask more at no extra cost.
If you are satisfied that I answered your question correctly, please give this service a positive rating.