How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barend B. Your Own Question
Barend B.
Barend B., Legal Consultant
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 1356
Experience:  BLC LLB (Pret) LLM (Augsburg)
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
Barend B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good Day I have these two questions: 1. I was ordered

Customer Question

Good Day
I have these two questions:
1. I was ordered to pay maintenancne to my wife for a period of 12 months. The total amounted to R45 000.00. However we both agreed that I pay her in three months. Are there any implications.
2. What happens to pension money if I get it before the divorce is finalised
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question,If the total amount of maintenance you are paying is R45,000.00, and the only difference is that you are paying her in 3 months instead of in 12 months, then NO, there is no implications to you. You would have complied with the court order, albeit earlier than you needed to. There is nothing legally stopping you from settling a debt early.Technically, your wife may be entitled to 50% of your pension money if you are married in community of property, and also might be entitled to claim a portion of it if you are married out of community of property but with the accrual system. You should speak to your attorney about this, as it could amount to a lot. Whichever case applies, you should ensure that the court order properly deals with the pension splitting.If there is something more specific that you need clarity on, please continue in this same thread. Let me know if you need more advice!I hope you found my answer helpful. If you did, PLEASE rate my answer & please leave me positive feedback! Good luck and best regards,CaseLawPlease note: This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please consult a local attorney in person for legal advice. This information is being provided so you can better discuss legal matters with your attorney.
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 2 years ago.
Hi there again,
I hope that you understood the above advice and that it was useful? Please leave positive feedback for me.
If you have a further question please ask it?