How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WCLawyer Your Own Question
WCLawyer, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 15603
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
WCLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hiya JP hope you well, My fiancé is a US citizen living in

Customer Question

Hiya JP hope you well, My fiancé is a US citizen living in Illinois. I am a South African. We are planning on getting married, and living in the US. I have two children age 14 and 16 from a previous marriage that will be going with me. Would you recommend us getting married in SA or USA?...and once married... what do we need to do to get me in?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 2 years ago.
Good day and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try and assist you today.
I do not know US law and, as such, I cannot draw a comparison between the two legal systems as it applies to marriage. If you do get married without choosing a legal system to apply to your marriage, the marriage system that operates within the country that the husband is ordinarily resident at the time of the marriage will apply. So, if the husband are currently ordinarily resident in South Africa, then our laws will apply whether you marry here or in the US, unless you make it clear that you wish US law to apply.
If you are going to get married in accordance with the laws of South Africa, then the only other thing that I can recommend is that you go to a South African lawyer and discuss the different marriage property regimes that is applicable in South Africa and have him draft a contract to be registered at the Deeds Office, that corresponds with the marriage property regime that you have chosen.
I hope I have answered all of your questions and addressed all your concerns, but if you have follow up questions before you rate, feel free to ask them at no extra cost. If you are satisfied with the service, kindly rate it positively.