How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Freddie Lombard Your Own Question
Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 2636
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
Freddie Lombard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good morning I'm an owner of a house in Phalaborwa. My

Customer Question

Good morning
I'm an owner of a house in Phalaborwa. My brother, Charlie, is presently occupying the house. I want to get a rental agreement signed by him, but he refuses to answer my phone calls in order to make an appointment to see him.
Up to now, he has lived in the house as a perk from the company he works for - my other brother Ken is the director of the company. Up until now, Ken has paid me rental for the house, but has now decided that this is no longer going to be the case.
Can I force my brother - Charlie - to sign a rental agreement or can I evict him from my house.
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bernadette
Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.
You can enter into a rental agreement with him and if he refuse you can evict him, you just have to see to it that you do it correctly.
I would suggest sending him a letter from an attorney if he refuse to take your calls terminating his right to occupy the property formally and demanding that he either enter into a new rental agreement with you or vacate the property.
If he ignores this, you can issue summons against him for damages which would be fair and reasonable rental and/or you can evict him. The process in doing that is very technical and have to be done correctly in terms of the The Prevention of Illegal Eviction from and Unlawful Occupation of Land Act.
In short my advise would be to get an attorney to handle this on your behalf in order to ensure that everything is done correctly.
I hope this answered your question.
I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.