How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JJ Your Own Question
JJ, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 4502
Experience:  Admitted Attorney 17 years experience
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
JJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My pregnant (5 months) daughter (23), do net have the means

This answer was rated:

My pregnant (5 months) daughter (23), do net have the means to take care of her and the unborn child. I do believe she is still using drugs, can i intervene to help the unborn child?

I do not think i can/want to help her, but want to help the baby so the he/she can have a future.

regards Estelle

Hi Estelle and welcome!

My name isXXXXX you for giving me the opportunity to assist you.

Do you mean helping the child when born?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i was thinking of intervention before the time? are there any thing legally that can be done for a unborn child? My bee some private welfare that can help evaluating the problem

Hi Estelle

The unborn child have no personal rights until born other than the right to life in terms of the constitution. It will therefore be very difficult to prove that you should be interfereing at this stage and you can only do so once the child is born.

Once born you can apply to the childrens court for you to have parental rights to look after the child.

It will be very difficult to prove that the child is being prejudiced at this stage and no court will take it that far. There is also no caselaw to this effect thus far.

My view is that one should try and get councilling involved and see whether this assist your daughter to act responsibly until the child is born.

Please ask more if not clear.

JJ and other South Africa Law Specialists are ready to help you