How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JJ Your Own Question
JJ, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 4502
Experience:  Admitted Attorney 17 years experience
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
JJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a insurance-appointed contractor force you to pay the excess

This answer was rated:

Can a insurance-appointed contractor force you to pay the excess amount (R1500 in my case) in cash - as opposed to EFT - before doing the work assigned by the insyrance company with an approved claim number?

Hi and welcome!

My name isXXXXX you for giving me the opportunity to assist you.

The act does not specifically deal with how payment should be madce. This insistence on cash is purely to evade tax and in my view should be dealt with in two ways:

1. A complaint be lodged with the insurance company concerned or

2. You pay the cash but insist that you are provided with a receipt which you will make sure is submitted to SARS.

He should be made aware of both these options and that you will not hesitate to excercise one of them.

Please ask more if not clear.

JJ and other South Africa Law Specialists are ready to help you