How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Shaie Zindel Your Own Question
Shaie Zindel
Shaie Zindel, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 1248
Experience:  All areas of commercial and contract Law - specialist in property advice.
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
Shaie Zindel is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

JJ CPA question My Mercedes stopped on the side of the

This answer was rated:


CPA question
My Mercedes stopped on the side of the road close to a Merc garage who had done work on the car recently and I suspected that the fault was related to the previous work. They towed the car (an automatic) to their premises and within a day or 2 diagnosed (via there diagnostic equipment) that there was a problem with the valve body (component of the gearbox) quoted at +/- R24 000-00. I investigated other options w.r.t. a gearbox specialist but eventually gave Mercedes the go ahead to repair. The replacement of the valve body did not rectify the problem and Mercedes are now quoting a further R29 000-00 for a primary pump and torque converter.

Am I obliged to pay for the valve body that appears not to have been the cause of the problem?? Merc are hiding behind the fact that the diagnostic equipment indicated that the problem was the valve body and without stripping the gearbox (which I believe they still have not done) they could not have know the cause. I am worried that if I give them the go ahead for the pump and torque converter there will potentially be another problem.

What recourse do I have in terms of the CPA - I have been in contact with Mercedes technical and they are defending the dealers actions

Your help is appreciated
Hi There - to be perfectly honest I think the dealership are liable to refund you the cost of the wasted repairs. They are the expert with the expensive equipment. Why should you be responsible for their mistakes? Personally I would go in and tell them you're not happy. Repairs carry a warranty under the Act so they cant get paid twice. If they don't want to listen, then I would immediately lodge a complaint. You can do this online and for free. The process is very simple. No lawyers are required and its usually much quicker than going to Court. The only potential snag is the National Consumer Commission itself. The website has been down for a while and the quality of service is not always great. That being said its worth a punt. Here are their details if you're interested: - I hope this helps and I wish you luck. Please remember to rate my service so far. Regards
Shaie Zindel and other South Africa Law Specialists are ready to help you