How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barend B. Your Own Question
Barend B.
Barend B., Legal Consultant
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 1362
Experience:  BLC LLB (Pret) LLM (Augsburg)
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
Barend B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-boyfriend and I separated before the baby was born. I

This answer was rated:

My ex-boyfriend and I separated before the baby was born. I am in no means going to make ridiculous financial demends from the father but I believe that every parent should atleast be financially responsible for the upbringing of the child even if they are separated.I would like to know if can claim for child maintanance even if I make more money than him? I make 3-4 time what he makes and am paying a bond and a car but he does not have these. He is educated (engineering degree) an a hard worker and i believe he salary will increase in future.

Good afternoon,

When the biological parents split up, it is always good to draft a parenting plan which sets out the rights and duties of each parent, which will include maintenance and visitation. If he is not interested in visitation, include that in the parenting plan (agreement) and let him sign it.

As far as maintenance is concerned, maintenance is calculated by first establishing the need for maintenance. How much does your baby need? And then you establish what each parent can contribute. Take your income and his income and work out a percentage of what each parent must contribute to the maintenance of the child. each parent has an equal duty to maintain the child, but each according to his/her means. If your baby, by example, needs R3000 per month, and your earn R20,000 per month and he earns R10,000, then he will be responsible for one third, namely a R1000, of the monthly maintenance.

Barend B. and other South Africa Law Specialists are ready to help you