How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WCLawyer Your Own Question
WCLawyer, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 15603
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
WCLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a bank have a legal right to deduct monies for an old account

Customer Question

Can a bank have a legal right to deduct monies for an old account when you open a new banking account with them
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 4 years ago.
Good day.

This is an info request to assist you better. Please continue on this thread.

Did they obtain judgment against you for that amount?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No they have not obtained judgement on this amount. I just reopened another account and discovered they deducted a huge amount off my account

Expert:  WCLawyer replied 4 years ago.
Unless they have a court order that entitles them to do this, or unless you have given them permission to do this, they would not have a right to do this.

There are a couple of things that you can do:

1. You can report the matter to the Banking Ombudsman (

2. You can sue them through a civil court for a refund.

I am not sure what else I can advise you on, but if you have follow up questions before you rate, feel free to ask them at no extra cost. If you are satisfied with the service, kindly rate it positively. I do not get anything unless you rate the service.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your response. The only thing that i would want to know is that permission was given to deduct monies from previous account and not on the new account.

do i have a legal right to get them to return the funds? I have asked them to return the funds and they refused.


Is my only recourse the above two options?

Expert:  WCLawyer replied 4 years ago.
What was the nature of the permission? What did you agree upon and how long ago was the last deduction made?