How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JJ Your Own Question
JJ, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 4502
Experience:  Admitted Attorney 17 years experience
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
JJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Boucheron is a boutique wine sales company situated in Kya

This answer was rated:

Boucheron is a boutique wine sales company situated in Kya Sands, Johannesburg, South Africa. All our sales income is generated through means of telesales.
Rentokil Johannesburg was situated in the same building as ourselves until June 2013 during which they relocated elsewhere. During the relocation process Rentokil's contractor unlawfully removed all the telecoms cables in the building structure, resulting in a total loss of data and communication lines for the whole building complex for the period 21 – 28 June 2013. Telkom had to replace the cables at their own expense.
Since the incident we have been trying to contact various people from Rentokil in Johannesburg and the Cape Town Head Office, but with no avail. The response has been so bad that we’ve have been cursed at and the phone put down on us.
Boucheron is a relatively small company so the loss of income for a week is vital to us. Our insurance does not cover this as it wasn’t caused by fire or theft in our offices etc, but be the responsibility of Rentokil.

Can we claim for loss of profits Rentokil?.

We have the following available:
1. Affidavit from landlord regarding occurence of damage
2. Written confirmation from Rentokil that their contractor caused the damage
3. Damage photographs from landlord can be provided on request.


Welcome to Just Answer!! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you.

How much money is involved?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My claim calculation is R260000

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

JJ R260 000

Hi Carel

You can clearly show that due to their unlawful act you have suffered damagesw and there is a direct link between these damages and their actions. They will in any event have lkiability insurance to this extent and they will have to submit a claim to their insurers for you to be paid.

You will have to refer a leter of demand to them and advise that this is the looss of income you have sauffered and you are claiming this amount plus interest at a rate of 15.5% per annum from them from the date of the letter of demand.

Please ask more if not clear.

JJ and other South Africa Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Johan

Must we give a deadline and what if they don't respond?

Hi Carel

They need to respond with payment within 7 days or if no response, you will have to issue a summons through a lawyer.

See for a lawyer near you specialising in litigation.