How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JJ Your Own Question
JJ, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 4502
Experience:  Admitted Attorney 17 years experience
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
JJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I would like to ask some advice on how to proceed with

This answer was rated:

Hi, I would like to ask some advice on how to proceed with a legal matter.
I subcontracted to an electrical company, who subcontracted to a mechanical company to supply equipment to a client. Due to lots of problems with the mechanical parts we ended up spending 3 months longer on site to get the equipment going, something the mechanical guys agreed to pay for.
Now it seems this company has gone bankrupt (not sure where you check this) and there is still about R180 000 payment outstanding. I do believe that some of that has been paid to the electrical company but they have kept it to themselves (I heard this from a third party).
Would there be any point in trying to recover some of the outstanding money from the electrical contractor as my legal cost might be higher that the money I might get back?


Welcome to Just Answer!! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you.

Who did you have a contract with, the mechanical or the electrical company?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, my contract is with the electrical company.


Your claim is against the electrical company and not against the mechanical company. The fact that they are liquidated should not affect you. You should let the electrical company know, who you are contracted to, to pay the outstanding amount before a certain date or you will have to take legal action.

If they off course refuse, it will then mean that you will have to get a summons issued in this regard.

Please ask more if not clear.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you.


Would 1 month be a reasonable time to arrive at a due date?


I assume I would need a lawyer to get a summons issued?




14 days are more than enough.

You will need a lawyer to get a summons issued.

JJ and other South Africa Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would need a lawyer in Rivonia that could help me with this problem, but I am not sure if you can answer that.


The following site has accredited and very competent lawyers. We are not allowed to refer you to somoene specific, but can refer you to the site:

You then need to search for a lawyer near you specialising in general litigation.