South Africa Law

Get Your South African Law Questions Answered by Experts

South Africa Law

Hi I would like your advice on a municipality matter I

Hi I would like your...
Hi

I would like your advice on a municipality matter I received my rates bill for July and was amazed that I was charged 58000 rand dated for 26/7/13 what I found interesting was that my June account read 6000 rand when I compared the accounts I noticed that my assessment rate from school was chained to commercial / business with out notifying me our area is residential and my zoning certificate says I am a place of instruction the othernthing the did my amf was 60 x 7.693 and it was increased to 480 x8.933 giving me all these amounts according to our area it is residential not business what can I do I have seen them and they tell me I must pay
Your advice will be appreciated
Helen
8/19/2013
Shaie Zindel
Shaie Zindel, Attorney
Hi There - the good news it can be sorted out - the bad news it is usually an absolute nightmare to try and do it yourself. I have a client that has exactly this problem. About 3 years ago Jhb municipality changed the zoning of their house in Hyde Park from Residential to Business. The rates and taxes went from R6k per month to around R27k per month. They were lucky they are so wealthy because they didn't want to get disconnected they paid the higher amount and a few years later realised they were owned nearly a million rand by council. The wife tried and tried and could never sort it out. Then I got a colleague Hilton Wiseman to try and help them. In 4 days he got them a credit and it was done legitimately without any monkey business. You just need someone in council to help you walk the file through the system. If you want I can let you have his number - he's not cheap but he will get you sorted out I'm sure.
Shaie Zindel
Shaie Zindel, Attorney

Hi Thank you for the answer when you say not cheap does that mean a million plus but i would like to have his number i really want help for this.

Thank you Helen.

Thank you Helen.

Hi Helen - nowhere near that kind of money in the Hydepark case he charged I think R100k thats because there was nearly a million owing so it's all relative to your problem. Call hilt wise man he's on 27823722220 - tell him I gave u the number

Thank you

hi sorry to worry again Mr Wiseman said that my case is to little to handle and that he does not handle this sort of case I would need to give him 25 000 before he even looks at the stuff can you give me anyone else.

thanks helen

Hmm I'm sorry I don't know anyone else - maybe call yvette smit at KWA 7287728 she is a good conveyancing attorney and might have some options? Please remember to rate my service.
Shaie Zindel
Shaie Zindel
Shaie Zindel, Attorney