How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Shaie Zindel Your Own Question
Shaie Zindel
Shaie Zindel, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 1248
Experience:  All areas of commercial and contract Law - specialist in property advice.
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
Shaie Zindel is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what is needed to abolish the PI squatter law ?

This answer was rated:

what is needed to abolish the PI squatter law ?
Hi There - I'm not sure I understand your question exactly - are you asking how to go about setting aside the Prevention of Illegal Evictions Act (the full name is: Prevention of Illegal Eviction from & Unlawful Occupation of Land Act 19 of 1998 (PIE Act). Please give me further info and I will try to assist. Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes please, what is required to set aside this act.

Thanking you
Hi Again - that's a hell of a question for a forum like this Smile To set aside an Act you need to follow 1 of 2 procedures. The first is to have a Court (usually the Constitutional Court) order that the Act is unlawful and unconstitutional and therefore set aside or the only other way is to have Parliament withdraw the legislation - in either event you face one hell of a battle. There is talk about some amendments to the Act to offer a bit more of a fairly balanced approach. Here is an article for more info: - I hope this answers your questions. Please remember to rate my service so far. Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This new amendment helps banks but most importantly property prices have devalued immensely in certain areas because of the squatters.
Never mind the safety of the law abiding citizens who unfortunately receive very little help from the police.
I agree with you - so your only options if the amendments don't assist you is to apply to the Constitutional Court for a declaration of invalidity or lobby government to repeal the Act. I hope this helps. Please remember to rate my service. Regards
Shaie Zindel and other South Africa Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks for the rating - good luck!