How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JJ Your Own Question
JJ, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 4502
Experience:  Admitted Attorney 17 years experience
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
JJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good day We bought a 2005 diesel Chrysler Grand Voyager

This answer was rated:

Good day

We bought a 2005 diesel Chrysler Grand Voyager about 3 months ago. When we got about 50km from the dealer in Pretoria the engine light came on. We phoned the dealer and he said that we must check the oil - their mechanic has probably put in too much oil. This has happened in the past and resulted in the engine light coming on. I took the car to a diesel mechanic in Sasolburg, and he drained about 2 liters of oil which was in excess. Now about 3 months later the gearbox packed up. We took it to a Chrysler specialists and the computer said that the gearbox overheated and caused a lot of damage. The mechanic said that when the car was serviced they put in the wrong oil in the gearbox. The oil should be reddish in colour but ours is clear (possibly normal engine oil). We are willing to pay for a labtest to prove that they used the wrong oil, but the dealer says that they only changed the engine oil before we took the car. The previous service of the car was 15 000km back and the car will definitely not last this long on the wrong oil in the gearbox.

I would like to know if it is possible to make either the dealer or the mechanic take responsibility for this (replacing the gearbox) or possibly get the dealer to cancel the deal (we bought the car for cash). A new gearbox costs about R28 000.

Thanks and regards

Yolande Schoutlz

Welcome to Just Answer!! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you.

There certainly is merit in your claim and in my view you should be able to claim your money for a replacement gear box from the dealer and or the mechanic.

In my view you should in order to get a speedy resolution to the matter rather lodge a complaint with the ombudsman for short term insurance and they can investigate and make a ruling. This will save you all the hassle with legal costs and all kinds of investigations. Your merits clearly supports a claim and this should be in your favour.

They can be contacted on

Please ask more if not clear.
JJ and other South Africa Law Specialists are ready to help you