WCLawyer
WCLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)
32244620

my question is about leave pay: if one has worked for a fee

my question is about leave pay: if one has worked for a fee of R10,000 a month to work two days a month (Tuesdays and Fridays), how does one calculate leave pay.

Starting date was 15 February; ending date 31 July. So 5 and a half months.

Thank you
Deborah
Good day.

This is an info request to assist you better. Please continue on this thread.

Two days a month or two days a week?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry: two days a week. So approximately 9 days a month

The Basic Conditions of Employment Act says that you have 21 consecutive leave days. What this means is that you have the amount of leave days that you would normally work in three weeks. For you, this means a total amount of leave days of 6 per year.

The Act also says that, by agreement, leave can accrue at one leave day for every 17 days worked. So, according to my calculations, you have worked 48 days. That means 48 divided by 17 equals 2 leave days.

Then you take the R 10 000, divide that by 4.33 to get your weekly pay and then divide that by two (the number of days you worked per week) to get your daily rate. (R 1154.73 according to my calculator).

That you then multiply by two (assuming that no leave was taken by the employee in that 5 months) to get the amount of leave pay due.

I hope this answers your question, but if you have any further questions, feel free to ask them before you rate. It will not cost you anything extra. If you are satisfied with the answer, kindly click on one of the five faces on the ratings page. I don't get anything for this answer unless you do.