How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WCLawyer Your Own Question
WCLawyer, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 15603
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
WCLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear Lawyer I have bought a couch from Rochester Atterbury

This answer was rated:

Dear Lawyer
I have bought a couch from Rochester Atterbury Value Mart in October 2012. It had a defect which I reported during March 2013.
The couch was collected for repair on 3 May 2013 and has not been returned yet. It was extremely difficult to find out from the head office why it took so long or what the status was. I tried working through the branch where I bought it but had to follow up many times without success.

I wish to know:
- What is a reasonable time for repair?
- What can I do to encourage/force them to just deliver my couch
- What recourse do I have should they deliver the couch without having reparied it?

In the meantime the couch which I had paid for remains in their posession.
Kind regards
Good day.

This is an info request to assist you better. Please continue on this thread.

What is the cost of the couch?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I paid about R6000 - a leather two seater

Would you want to cancel and claim a refund?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If possible yes - Id prefer as I doubt whether they actually did the required repairs
..or did it properly

I tend to agree.

I suggest that you do the following:

1. Write them a letter through registered mail in which you tell your whole story again. Inform them that you will allow them 20 days from the date of delivery of the letter to provide you with a new couch or your repaired couch and if they fail to do so, that you will proceed to claim the refund from them. Tell them that if they prefer, you will accept a full refund.

2. If they ignore you or they do not keep to the deadline, I suggest that you use the Small Claims Court to claim your R 6 000 back.

This is the cheapest and quickest way to collect a sum of under R 12 000. Nobody is allowed to use lawyers and the whole process will cost you about R 100.

The Small Claims Court is usually located at your local Magistrates Court and you should ask to speak to the Clerk of the Small Claims Court. They will assist you in issuing a letter of demand and then later a summons.

You will have to represent yourself on a date that will be given to you by the Clerk of the Court, however, this is normally after hours, which means that you do not need to take off work.

I hope this helps you a little bit, but if you have any further questions, feel free to ask them before you rate. It will not cost you anything extra. If you are satisfied with the answer, kindly click on one of the five faces on the ratings page. I don't get anything for this answer unless you do
WCLawyer and other South Africa Law Specialists are ready to help you