JJ
JJ, Attorney
Experience:  Admitted Attorney 17 years experience
18691375

Do we have an ombudsman for the construction industry in South

Do we have an ombudsman for the construction industry in South Africa? If so how do I get hold of them and will they be able to assist in a dispute relating to paving that started cracking before it was even completed. After two attempts, the contractor is not able to repair the cracks. Can I insist in the job to be redone or a refund?
Hi

Welcome to Just Answer!! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you.

Is the contractor registered with the NHBRC?

Regards

Johann
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

As far as I know he is not registered with the NHBRC. He runs his own CC and employs workers as and when he gets a job. If an ombudsman cannot assit what alternative options do I have?

Hi

It is really a problem if not registered with the NHBRC. There is no ombudsman for this and in my view you will have to wait for the outcome of the matter with the consumer tribunal.

I am of the view that if you follow the legal route, which is the only other option available, that you will have an expensive process and taking a lot of time to finalise.

Rather wait for the tribunal on a decision.

Regards

Johann