How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JJ Your Own Question
JJ, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 4502
Experience:  Admitted Attorney 17 years experience
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
JJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Am I able to sue my ex-boyfriend for emotional distress after

Customer Question

Am I able to sue my ex-boyfriend for emotional distress after a one year relationship?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  JJ replied 5 years ago.


Welcome to Just Answer!! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you.


This is not common practice in South Africa and such a claim has yet to succeeed in SA courts. The problem with this is to quantify the claim and here we only claim for damages suffered as a breach of promise to marry.


It is therefore important to note that if you suffered damages as a result of the break up that you can claim for.