How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WCLawyer Your Own Question
WCLawyer, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 15603
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
WCLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a sugar farmer in KZN and i have an old tractor driver

Customer Question

I am a sugar farmer in KZN and i have an old tractor driver who cant read or write who has been hauling cane for 30/40 years in the old days the farm was whole so a drivers licences was not necessary,then it was cut in two by a public road also many years ago.
Now we have to go 150m on this new road to get to the other half of the road, Does he now have to get a drivers license or any allowance ,because he would never pass as he cannot read or write ,which means he and his family would at this stage be without a job.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 6 years ago.
Good day.

If he wants to drive on a public road, he will have to get his license.

As far as I am aware of, you can do the learners test verbally. I know for a fact that some people did take their learners driver test through a verbal exam in the town where I got my license. So, you should inquire from your local traffic department whether this is possible.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Thanks for the reply , i find it hard to believe that i have to pay so much money for each driver to get this license when he only crosses a rural road of 150m and never any more . i would have thought there might have been some provision old or new in the law for this type of thing.