South Africa Law

Get Your South African Law Questions Answered by Experts

South Africa Law

I have been the victim of internet fraud.Logged a complaint

with the bank within an...
I have been the victim of internet fraud.Logged a complaint with the bank within an hour they told me internet transaction cannot be reversed immediatly and a forensics investigation had to be done. It took them 80 days to do an investigation and told me I will not recieve any money back. I feel that the bank dragged their heels in the urgency of the case, as speed would have recovered some of the monies stolen.
Is there any legal way I can challenge their decision or do I accept their findings
7/7/2010
JJ
JJ, Attorney

Good day

The immediate answer, and I suppose the easiest, would be to advise you to if you can prove that the bank was negligent, that you can hold them liable and off course issue summons against them for the money. This is however a costly method and will take you 2 years plus to get to court. They in all likelihood will also defend the matter and mess you around for a long time, causing you just more "damages" in terms of legal costs.

My suggestion is that you should lay a complaint with the Ombudsman for Banking services. www.obssa.co.za You can lay the complaint on line and do not even need to go to their offices. This does not cost you anything and at least the matter should be investigated and you will either get your money back, or a proper explanation will be given on why they do not deem themselves to be liable. You can then consider your position.

Fact is that you do have rights and does not need to merely accept the banks' ruling.

Good luck and trust this gave you some guidance.

Regards

Johann

JJ
JJ, Attorney
JJ
JJ
JJ, Attorney