South Africa Law

Get Your South African Law Questions Answered by Experts

South Africa Law

I received a sms saying that I won 133,000.00 GBP withPlatinum

Lottery Company award.I answered and...
I received a sms saying that I won 133,000.00 GBP withPlatinum Lottery Company award.I answered and after lots of Forms I had to fill in I was asked to pay a fee of 270,-- GBP ( equivalent of Rand 3.165,-- in a contact persons account. I paid and I received more Forms, also a fund release form for the bank. So far so good. But now they ask me to pay some more
1.210.00 GBP ( equivalent to 15,437.00 ZAR ) for the costs of a Telegraphic Transfer of the money.
Is that a scam?
Monika
7/6/2010
JP
JP, Attorney

Good Evening!

I am very sorry to inform you that this is without a doubt a scam.

A lottery is a promotional device by which items of value are awarded to members of the public by chance, but which requires some form of payment to participate. In the United States and most developed countries, lotteries are illegal except when conducted by governments (states in the US) and certain exempt charitable organizations.

Here are key points for avoiding scam lotteries:

• 1. You cannot win a legitimate lottery if you have not entered it.
  • 2. In almost all cases you must purchase a ticket to enter a legitimate lottery.
  • 3. You never have to pay to collect winnings from a legitimate lottery. You pay taxes AFTER you you receive the winnings. There are no other fees.
  • 4. If you hold a winning lottery ticket, you notify the lottery (they do not notify you; not by email, not by phone, not by mail).
  • 5. It is illegal under U.S. federal law to play ANY foreign lottery from the United States. Many other countries have similar laws. for example, you must be a Spanish resident to play the El Gordo lottery.
  • 6. Since scammers simply invent new names for their fake lottery scams, it is more accurate to say that if you do not see the lottery on the list of legitimate lotteries, it is probably a scam.
  • 7. If it isn't conducted by a government or government-authorized charitable organization, it can't be a legitimate lottery

THIS IS A NIGERIAN 419 ADVANCED FEE / LOTTERY SCAM !!!!!!!!

BREAK OFF ALL FURTHER COMMUNICATION WITH THEM ... YOU ARE ONLY GOING TO LOOSE YOUR MONEY....

An advance-fee fraud is a confidence trick in which the target is persuaded to advance sums of money in the hope of realizing a significantly larger gain.[1] Among the variations on this type of scam, are the Nigerian Letter (also called the 419 fraud, Nigerian scam, Nigerian bank scam, or Nigerian money offer[2]),[3] the Spanish Prisoner, the black money scam as well as Russian/Ukrainian scam (also extremely widespread, though far less popular than the former).

The lottery scam involves fake notices of lottery wins. The winner is usually asked to send sensitive information to a free e-mail account. The scammer then notifies the victim that releasing the funds requires some small fee (insurance, registration, or shipping). Once the victim sends the fee, the scammer invents another fee.

Much like the various forms of overpayment fraud detailed above, a new variant of the lottery scam involves fake or stolen cheques being sent to the 'winner' of the lottery (these cheques representing a part payment of the winnings). The winner is more likely to assume the win is legitimate, and thus more likely to send the fee (which he does not realize is an advance fee). The cheque and associated funds are flagged by the bank when the fraud is discovered, and debited from the victim's account.

.

Did they ask you to deposit an amount of money into their bank account before they can transfer your inheritance over to you?

This is normally the first sign that there is something wrong. In most jurisdictions and especially those in common wealth countries, this will be an administration expense and will be recovered from the estate, not from the heirs.

Are they using a free e-mail address?

If they are using an e-mail address like yahoo, hotmail or gmail, chances are that this is fake. Using a free e-mail service makes it very difficult to trace the owner of the address and they can escape detection like this.

Kindly accept my answer by clicking on the accept!

Kind Regards

JP

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking "Accept", you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for general information purposes only and to assist you to discuss legal matters with your attorney in person; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but is made as compensation for the obtaining as general legal information for further discussion with your attorney .If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

JP
JP, Attorney

Kindly note that you gave me neutral feedback and stipulated "Very Disappointing" i assume you mean you are disappointed that you did not win the lottery but this does not reflect that you are disappointed with me as an expert. Just wanted to record this for other customers reading this question and your feed back.

You don't need to do anything this is just recorded.

Thank you for your accept and trust that i can be of assistance in the future!

Kind Regards

JP
JP
JP, Attorney