South Africa Law

Get your South African law questions answered by Experts

i was charged with crimina injuria and assault. I was arrested…

Customer Question
i was charged with crimina...
i was charged with crimina injuria and assault. I was arrested at home and booked and charged at a police station and put into a holding cell for hearing the following day. However the same night my fiance collected me from the police station. While sitting their they gave me a receipt which was a fine - acknowledgement of guilt which he paid in despiration to get me out of the holding cell as my children were alone at home. I then laid a charge against the lady as well as I was just defending myself from her. She was found guilty in a court of law. Why do I have a criminal record against my name when I have not appeared in court. Also how can I clear my criminal record as I do cannot wait for the next 10 year to have a clear record. So far all the jobs I applied for did not materialise because of the criminal check
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: South Africa Law
7/6/2010
Lawyer: WCLawyer, Attorney replied 7 years ago
WCLawyer
WCLawyer, Attorney
You have a criminal record because you paid the admission of guilt fine. In order for you to get your criminal record expunged before the 10 years are up, you will have to approach court and have the conviction overturned.

I am sorry to say that this is going to be a very difficult and very expensive procedure.
WCLawyer
WCLawyer, Attorney

at the time of the incident I was too traumatised to think about the consequences but now it just feels very unjust.

That will be one of the factors you will have to place in front of the court. I am not saying that it is impossible, but it is going to be difficult. If you succeed, you have to take into account that you may then be charged again and then the matter will be brought to court where you will have to defend yourself.